2023 Regular Local Election Important Dates
- May 8, 2023: Public campaign financed qualified period begins (183 days preceding the election) pursuant to section 9-2.3(v).
- June 28, 2023: Proposed City of Santa Fe Election Resolution Approved and the exact number of valid names, addresses and signatures required on the Nominating Petition to be placed on the ballot for the office the candidate is seeking is provided to all candidates. (Updated)
- July 24, 2023: Public campaign finance qualified period ends (106 days before the election) pursuant to section 9-2.3(v). Declared candidates seeking public campaign financing will turn in $5 qualifying contributions, Declaration of Candidacy and Nominating petition forms between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to the City Clerk for delivery to the County Clerk pursuant to section 9-1.6(C)1.
- August 4, 2023: Nominating Petition signatures for Candidates Seeking Public Campaign Financing delivered to the City Clerk for delivery to the County Clerk.
- August 9, 2023- Secretary of State issues an Election Proclamation calling for the Regular Local Election.
- August 10, 2023 – City Clerk determines if declared candidate complies and is approved for public campaign financing.
- August 14, 2023 – City Clerk issues payment for public campaign funds
- August 29 – Candidate Filing Day – Candidates not utilizing public campaign financing will turn in their declaration of candidacy the County Clerk’s Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- November 7, 2023 - Election Day. Polls open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Nominating Petition Signature Information (The nominating petition form has not been released by the SOS)
The County Clerk is the proper filing officer for all petitions and will make the ultimate decision on Candidates who have qualified for the ballot based on NMSA 1978, § 1-22-10.
Candidates have two options for collecting Nominating Petition names, addresses, and signatures. Candidates can use the 2023 RLE Qualifying Elector Nominating Petition form approved by the Secretary of State or the City of Santa Fe’s online petition form.
Santa Fe City Position Signature Estimated Requirements
Municipal Judge – 304*
Council District 1 – 92*
Council District 2 – 82*
Council District 3 – 48*
Council District 4 - 84*
Signature requirements are calculated based on a percentage of the total number of registered voters in the district and are subject to change as voter registration numbers may change.
*Signatures required as of 5/1/2023.
The City “opted-in” to the Local Election Act in 2018 (Ord. 2018-24). The election is conducted by Santa Fe County.
For additonal information please contact: