Applying for a new Santa Fe business license
The City of Santa Fe issues several business licenses for businesses located within the City limits or doing business there. A business is defined as an activity or enterprise operating for financial gain, benefit, advantage, or livelihood. The most common business licenses we issue are:
- A standard commercial business license is issued to a business renting or owning commercial space.
- A home-based business license is issued to a business located at your residence (with or without visiting clientele).
- A cannabis business license. Ensure you have your state approval letter and your City of Santa Fe zoning approval letter to download with your application before applying for your cannabis business license.
Business licenses are issued by location. If you have a business with multiple locations, you must apply for a separate license for each location.
Out-of-City business licensees must submit a business registration application and pay the fee. Businesses located within the City limits must first get a Certificate of Occupancy. Learn more about COs in the resources section.
City of Santa Fe New Business License Process
We are now directing ALL businesses to apply online for a City of Santa Fe Business License, whether you are a New Business or Renewing a license. Please follow the instructions below.
For All New Business Applications:
- Your first step is to have a New Mexico State CRS/GRT Number through the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. You can apply by going to their website: www.tax.newmexico.gov.
- If you have two or more employees, you must also provide an EIN number, which you can apply for online by going to the IRS website www.irs.usa-taxid.com.
- If you provide food, you must also provide a Permit to Operate from the State Health Department by going to their website www.env.nm.gov/forms.
- Once you have all the required information, click here to apply for a business license. Once we receive your application, we will process your application. If you are in the City Limits, you will have to have a Fire Inspection and obtain a Certificate of Compliance. Our Inspection office will contact you regarding scheduling your inspections. Commercial Certificate of Compliance will cost $75.00 (this includes the fire inspection fee), and your business license fee will be $35.00. A home-based business will run $175.00 (this includes the fire inspection fee), and your business license fee will be $35.00. If you are out of the City Limits, you will not have to complete inspections, and the business license fee will be $10.00. Once everything is completed and paid for, we will issue and email your license to you.